December 27, 2009

A Technique for Launching a Writing Activity

Perhaps one of the most difficult parts of a writing task is how to start writing. The mind can often remain adamant at starting principally because it doesn't and cannot picture the whole write-up as completed. Indeed it would be difficult for the mind to imagine how it would look like since it does not yet have the building blocks from which to build the write-up. A pattern of a vicious cycle emerges from where there is no way out until in exasperation, the student gives up.

Don't let this happen to you. I have found an approach that might also work with you. I sometimes undergo a period that is wasted thinking about a topic on which to write on.

Writing can be one brain-intensive activity mainly because it needs a lot of controls as compared with speaking. Speaking is the first activity that we learn and writing is taught in the schools. Writing seems to be an artificial activity when you compare it with speaking.

Speaking is a very natural part of being human. Writing is not. You don't need to be able to write in order for you to survive. Writing is rather a sophisticated activity that may not be meant for everyone. So I believe that students should not be forced to write or come up with a written report. I think the policy should be you can either submit a paper or just present a verbal report.

Writing requires a lot of disciplined work from the brain. This work involves slowing down the speed at which the brain works so as to enable the hands to keep pace with what the brain is working on. The brain would fight all sorts of attempts to control it and this contributes to the difficulty of developing writing skills. I believe that nurturing the writing skills starts with learning to slow down the brain's thinking process.

Writing is such a personal matter that I don't think I can teach you how to write by showing you how I do it. May be you'll have an idea of how it is done but I think it is you that have to teach yourself how to do it in the way that you're most comfortable with. Alright maybe it would help if I show you how I do it but it doesn't end there. Knowing and doing are two different things.

Anyway, it happened once and I thought I could probably do it a second and third time. I just open a Notepad window on my computer and type away whatever comes to my mind, all sorts of things like phrases, words and sometimes sentences. Your mind will then realize that you want something to write on and start giving you a bunch of related phrases and sometimes complete sentences that will ultimately find their way into the article you're dreaming of writing.

When you find yourself writing complete sentences one after another, then you have found your topic. Just go on writing and never mind how your write-up is organized, just continue on writing. After a while, you will experience a pause and this would be the right time to save your work and organized what you have written so far. Now you know what you're writing about and you can confidently say what the title of your work is.

Your brain will naturally identify missing parts or gaps that you instinctively will work on and add to whatever it is that you have written already. Your work is almost complete at this point but there is one more thing that you need to do. You have to edit your work by correcting grammatical errors and rewriting sentences that are vague and by improving on how other sentences have been written.

I was just looking at the list of phrases that I'm compiling from Google Insights about future trends in search engine searches worldwide when something struck me. I opened a new Notepad window and here it is, I have a new article for one of my blogs at Blogger.com. I don't know how this article might be of use to you but maybe it will have some use so I might as well post it.

So anytime that you find yourself at a loss for a topic to write on, just start typing and who knows where it would lead you. Try it now.

Take a look at this article that came about just as I describe in this article: http://hinagapnikaure.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-i-go-about-writing-articles-for-my.html.

Read my other article on practical ways to improve your writing skills at: http://laptopwriting.blogspot.com/2010/11/practical-ways-to-improve-your-writing.html.

Read an article comparing writing an article with packaging a gift for a dear friend at: http://laptopwriting.blogspot.com/2011/12/writing-article-for-your-website-is.html.